A Brief History of the Hospital
Community Memorial Hospital and Redfield Clinic was built in 1950 as a 40-bed short term general hospital. The hospital had 8 bassinets, diagnostic services in laboratory and x-ray and treated both medical and surgical patients.
The hospital is non-profit, city-owned, and has a 6 member governing board, all appointed by the Mayor. One of the members will be from the City Council and one member will be appointed from the active Community Memorial Hospital and Redfield Clinic Medical Staff.
- In 1968, an addition was constructed, changing the bed capacity to 44.
- Considerable remodeling was done during this time (1968) to meet the needs of a growing community.
- The clinic was added on to the hospital in 1991, decreasing bed capacity to 25.
- An ambulance service was added in 1972.
- The clinic was purchased by the hospital and city in June of 1993.
- Designated as Critical Access Hospital in June, 2000.
In the fall of 2009, the Community Memorial Hospital and Redfield Clinic and Clinic Foundation launched the "Our Commitment to a Healthy Future" campaign to raise funds to purchase various items for the $6.2 million expansion and renovation project that began at the hospital in spring 2009.
The 17,000 square foot addition provided 13 new inpatient rooms, two cardiac care rooms, two emergency rooms, pharmacy, patient registration area, and a new ambulance/emergency entrance. The renovation remodeled about 9,500 square feet of the hospital, including an operating room, recovery room, ambulatory surgery rooms, visiting specialist room, outpatient treatment center, bone density scanning room, ultrasound room, and other support services.